CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Sunday, July 12, 2009

My Top 10

We head out to the beach this week...Very exciting you say, right? Well, when people ask me where we're going, they usually give me an odd look when I tell them we're going to New Jersey. Yep, that's right, we making the 10-hour drive to the Jersey Shore. Why, you may ask, would a resident of South Carolina, drive an impossibly long drive with 2 small children when she's only about 2 hours from the beach?? Well, 2 reasons actually: 1) my sister and her husband own a super-fab 5-bedroom beach house, and 2) I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Shore (that's what the locals call the beach -- just thought I would introduce you to some local lingo.) And why do I love the shore, you may ask? Here goes:

1) Minus a few years in high school and college, I've spent almost every summer there. My grandmother always had a beach house, and we would often spend most of the month of August there.
2) The smell -- yeah, the marsh in Beaufort is definitely amazing, but nothing smells better to me than the sea air. When we cross over the beach in to Sea Isle City, I have to roll down my window and breathe. Totally amazing!!
3) The boardwalk -- At least one day is spent in Ocean City, walking along the boardwalk and finding as must room as I possibly can for food. Taylor Pork Roll with Cheese, Bob's Lemonade, Kohr's Ice Cream...my mouth is literally watering just thinking about it.
4) Lifeguards...ok, get your mind out of the gutter!! Yes, back in the day, they all seemed rather dreamy. 'Course, now that I'm in my 30s, they are just kids...but I love the fact that 7 days/week, there are 2 extra sets of eyes on my kids while I'm on the beach. There is definitely a lot of comfort in that.
5) Nickelby's -- This little store has been in Sea Isle for as long as I remember, and has always been in walking distance from where we are. Nothing's better than heading down there for a cappucino, sandwich, or just to peruse their supply of Sea Isle stuff.
6) SCOOPS!!! There is also a fabulous ice cream stand just a 5-minute walk from my sister's house. Growing up, it was called "Dippin' Dons." It's under new management now, but is just as tasty!
7) My great-grandfather was the mayor of this town. Just head down to the museum, and you can learn all about the Van Hooks...that's about as close to a celebrity as I can get!
8)My grandmother's beach house is still standing!. Even though she passed away almost 7 years ago, I love the fact that I can walk by here house every day on my way to and from the beach.
9) The memories...Like I mentioned before, I've spent about a million summers down there...the times I've had have always been awesome. I'm so glad my kids will have the same opportunity!
10) And finally...the food! There are so many things that are just better up north: pizza, subs, sticky buns, salt water taffy, and corn just to name a few! I will probably be as big as a house when I get back, but it will be an amazing 9 days that will end too quickly!!!!!!

0 comments: